So, here the story goes, hope you enjoy!
As I have mentioned in previous posts, I currently work at the Academy of Arts Ministries in Taylors, SC. One night, my troupe (the wonderful people who I work and live with at the Logos Theatre) and I decided to visit downtown Greenville and distribute fliers promoting our upcoming production.
We split up into groups of three and four to cover more ground quickly. My group consisted of two of my very good friends, for the sake of the story, we will call them "Kirk" and "Lisa."
After handing out many fliers in the downtown area, Kirk, Lisa and I decided to walk down to Reedy River Park to see the falls.
At this point in the evening it began to turn very dark. I offered to take the remaining fliers from Kirk so he could drink the hot chocolate he recently purchased.
As we descended the numerous, steep stairs, I cautiously took each step very slowly. For those of you who know me, you are probably thinking of a time when I tragically lost a battle with stairs.
That being said, as I stepped safely and rather victoriously, I must say, off those stairs I felt rather proud for "beating" the stairs at their game.
I began to pick up my pace to catch up with Lisa and Kirk because my slowness had caused me to fall behind.
Please remember that I have approximately 200 fliers tucked safely in both arms at this moment-or nothing that I am about to say to you will seem at all wondrous! (sorry Dickens, couldn't resist...)
Just as I turn the corner into the grassy knoll that leads down to the falls, I hear Kirk say to Lisa:
"Watch out for that spot right there, it's a bit rough."
To my great chagrin, I heard this warning one millisecond too late. Without a chance to even release a proper scream, both feet slipped up toward the sky and I was sent careening down the slope, head and hands first. Thankfully, the muddy bank cushioned my fall.
When my sliding halted, and I landed in a "Super Man" position; I was showered by the dozens of fliers, which so gracefully flew from my hands when I left the ground.
As I looked up at the shocked and somewhat frightened expressions of my friends, something inside of me snapped. Deep from within me came a screeching, show-stoppin cackle that would make the "Wicked-Witch-of-the-West" proud. My body began to tremble as the deep guttural laughter continued. Large tear drops rolled down my face as the image of me bouncing through the mud played over, and over in my mind.
After the shock wore off, Kirk offered me a hand up. I was shaking so badly from hilarity, that I barely made it up all the way before I was doubled over again in laughter.
Kirk and Lisa told me later that when I started laughing, a couple on a nearby bench looked up at me, looked at each other, and got up and left. Of course, this only sent me into a new round of hilarity as I could only imagine what was going through their minds!
I know that story would be SO much funnier if you had been there, but I share it because....
- The Lord knew that day I really needed a laugh. A knock-out-drag-out-feel-like-your-heart-is-going-to- burst-laugh. We all know the saying "Laughter is the best medicine." Well, that "teaching moment" was medicinal to my heart. It is the best feeling in the world to know that God went out of His way to make you smile:)
- God reminded me that I am human. That so often, when I say "I got this journey covered!"-that is when I fail to heed His warning and I fall hard, for all the world to see. But then, the Lord graciously shows me what I missed and He picks me back up. Suffice it to say, for the time being, humility is in check.
"The steps of a good man are ordered by the LORD: and he delighteth in his way. Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down: for the LORD upholdeth him with his hand."-Psalm 37:23-24
Luke
12:48b
kirk and lisa?? ooh natalie ;) good writings friend :)
ReplyDelete