Sunday, February 12, 2012

Sound Mind

Last week, I met with one of the directors of the Mission Board that will, Lord willing, commission me to a field of service.

It's hard to explain the emotions that were going on inside of me before I walked into that meeting. I confess that one of the main emotions I was fighting was fear. It's amazing what fear can do to your brain! I mean I was actually thinking to myself, what if they listen to me speak for five minutes and then say something like: "Um, don't call us, we'll call you." or "Thanks, but no thanks." Or what if I fall flat on my face as soon as I enter the door or get tongue-tied and forget my name, or breath in too much air and start coughing uncontrollably (to those of you who have known me for awhile, you are laughing because you know I have at some point done each one of those things in front of a crowd). 

Good grief! No wonder the Bible says that "For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind."-2 Timothy 1:7  These fears were obviously not from God, but from the one who wanted me to fear unnecessarily so I could be made useless for the kingdom of God.

As I walked up the stairs to the lobby, I felt a peace that passeth all understanding. I could feel all the prayer that I had asked for that day from my friends and family. I knew that no matter what happened, God had my life in His hands and I could "Trust in the Lord with all [my] heart and lean not on [my] own understanding. [I would] in all my ways acknowledge Him and He would direct [my] paths.-Proverbs 3:5-6 

The Lord graciously allowed me to express the call He had given me for the foreign mission field. I was able to share my testimony and ask my questions with clarity and soundness of mind. It actually was and incredible blessing to get advice and encouragement from a fellow missionary who shared my excitement and passion for the mission field. We were able to map out the next few steps I'm going to need to take.

I praise the Lord for answered prayer and His everlasting presence in my heart and life. I can always trust in Him, no matter what!

-one who has been given much
  Luke 12:48b

Read the next post to find out what steps are next



No comments:

Post a Comment